Provigil, the wakefulness-promoting drug that is available as the brand of Modafinil, is well-known for its efficacy. The drug is typically used in the management of sleep disorders like narcolepsy, excessive daytime sleepiness, shift work sleep disorder, and obstructive sleep apnea, but not many know that the drug is also used off-label to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). As such, there are many hidden facts about Provigil that not many persons are aware of. Learning about these Provigil facts are likely to help you in the long run.
Unusual facts about Provigil
- Provigil is used for sleep disorders as the drug has been approved for this purpose. However, the drug’s ability to improve the person’s focus and attention have off-label uses for conditions like mood disorders, severe mood swings, bipolar disorders, and even depression.
- Buying Provigil without prescription is considered illegal in the US as it is a schedule IV drug. Only those prescribed to take it can obtain the drug.
- Even if buying Provigil from an overseas online drugstore, it has to be done only with a valid prescription in order to be able to use the drug legally within the US. Other countries may not require a Provigil prescription but it is necessary to be able to take the drug within the US.
- Provigil is often used off-label in the treatment of ADHD in adults. Many healthcare providers in the US prescribe the drug for this condition even though it is not officially an approved use. Nearly 90% of Provigil prescriptions are writ for off-label uses than for the approved uses.
- It is not that the FDA is not aware of the off-label use of Provigil for ADHD. Despite the relative safety of using Provigil and the drug having similar therapeutic effects over ADHD as drugs like Adderall and Ritalin, the FDA has not approved the drug for this condition.
- The manufacturer has approached the FDA for approval of Provigil as an alternate drug treatment for ADHD but the FDA has rejected the application. Although the drug is not used in children, doctors continue to prescribe Provigil off-label and it is considered as a highly effective treatment for adults with ADHD.
- Provigil is also used in the management of idiopathic hypersomnia in many parts of the world but not in the US. This condition is where the patient experiences uncontrolled daytime sleepiness and it is usually difficult to wake up the person from this state.
- A prominent side effect experienced by Provigil users is that of weight loss. Although the drug is not used as a weight loss medication, it is definitely used off-label for various mood disorders. Sleep disorders are considered as the primary use for Provigil.
Provigil may be prescribed off-label but it is not a drug that can be simply used for the conditions mentioned here. The healthcare provider has to find that the effects of taking Provigil would be suitable for your condition before it can be prescribed for either approved or unapproved uses. It is advised against taking Provigil on your own without consulting with the doctor. Take the medication according to the dosage instructions and you are sure to benefit from it. In case you feel Provigil may be suitable for your condition, check with the doctor if the drug can be prescribed for you.